Our Complaints Policy

We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients.

When something goes wrong with the quality of service we are providing we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.

If you have a complaint, please raise the matter with the lawyer responsible for your matter or, if you prefer, with Andrew Johnson, our client care partner and the Firm’s Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (COLP). You can contact Andrew at andrew.johnson@hslaw.legal

We will communicate with you about your complaint and advise you of the outcome. We are able to resolve most complaints in house but, if you are not satisfied with the outcome, you have a right to complain to the Legal Ombudsman, an independent complaints body, established under the Legal Services Act 2007. You can do so via the following contact details:

Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 6167
Telephone: 0300 555 0333
Email address: enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk
Website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk

The Legal Ombudsman will accept complaints from individuals and small businesses, charities, clubs, societies, associations and trusts.

You have six months from the date of our final letter in which to complain to the Legal Ombudsman. The Legal Ombudsman usually recommends that an amicable settlement is reached between us and allows eight weeks for this to happen before accept a complaint.

Complaints to SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority)

There are seven principles that all law firms must meet. As a summary our law firm must act:

  1. in a way that upholds the constitutional principle of the rule of law, and the proper administration of justice
  2. in a way that upholds public trust and confidence in the solicitors’ profession and in legal services provided by authorised persons
  3. with independence
  4. with honesty
  5. with integrity
  6. in a way that encourages equality, diversity and inclusion
  7. in the best interests of each client.

If you feel our firm has breached these principles you may make a complaint direct to the SRA via their website below: